HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE! MAY 2010 BRING US HAPPINESS AND GOOD HEALTH, CHEERS!
It’s January 1st and I thought I should start the year right by updating my foodblog. It’s not a joke maintaining 6 blogs (each serving a purpose) but I must not complain because all 6 are my babies.
Alright, let me share with you a side dish I made for our Christmas eve 2009 dinner (for 2). I made a 3-course dinner but decided not to post all at once. I found the recipe for this online 2 days before I was to it. It was my first time to make it and my husband went crazy because to quote him: “this is how my grandmother would make red cabbage”. He just kept thanking me that night for making it…yep, I was a happy cook!
- 1 red cabbage , quartered and shredded
- 1 Bramley apple , peeled and grated
- 1 red onion , halved and sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- a glass port
- 3 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100g butter , cut into cubes
- Heat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2. Put all the ingredients in an ovenproof casserole with a lid. Put over the heat, stir well then cook for 5 minutes until the butter has melted and everything is well mixed.
- Cover, transfer to the oven and cook for 2 hours. Season before serving.
If you take a closer look, exact weight of cabbage wasn’t given. I had to adjust the ingredients to suit my taste and also I reduced the cooking time to only 1 hour. My husband and I liked the cabbage crunchy.