Creamy Butternut Squash

I had a butternut squash just lying on my kitchen counter for weeks when I finally decided to touch it when I found an easy but delightful recipe on one of my Jamie Oliver’s cookbooks. This was from COOK with Jamie O. page 350.

I was not really sure if my husband will like it since he’s quite picky and even with a disapproving look in his eyes asked what was the orange thing I was holding in my hand (squash) I answered it was a butternut squash and he’s going to eat it. He almost ran to the door to get away from me (and or from the idea of eating the ‘thing’.)

But gheez! It was really nice that the picky eater even had a big serving of it. Well Jamie Oliver, you’ve done it again! *lol* I so loved it that I used it as my banner for this blog’s theme.

This was great as a side dish if you’re having beef, pork or chicken.

* this was on half stage of cooking

* ready to be eaten CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH (below)

Serves 4

• 1 med. butternut squash, peeled and de-seeded, sliced into bite size
  • a heaped teaspoon coriander seeds, smashed ( I used powder)
  • 1-2 dried red chillies, crumbled
  • 6 sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
  • sea salt and black pepper
  • olive oil
  • 250ml single cream
  • 1/2 a nutmeg or a pinch if powdered form
  • 1 wineglass white
  • 2 handfuls freshly grated parmesan cheese (this I omitted, husband doesn’t like it)

Preheat the oven to 200C. In a bowl (fit to stand the oven heat) toss the pumpkin in and the coriander seeds(powder) chillies, salt and pepper and a good glug of olive oil to coat everything. Mix thoroughly . Cut a greaseproof paper, dampen it under the tap , scrunch it up and drape it over the squash…neatly tucking it on all side. Place the mixture in the oven and let cook for about 30 minutes. While waiting, mix the wine, nutmeg, cream parmesan and a bit of salt/pepper again and then place the pumpkin back in the oven for about 10 minutes until golden, bubbling and it’s ready to serve!

9 Comments »

thess on January 29th 2008 in Home cooking, Jamie Oliver

9 Responses to “Creamy Butternut Squash”

1. GBex responded on 30 Jan 2008 at 12:33 am #

2. rose responded on 30 Jan 2008 at 1:08 pm #

ayun, nakita ko ang tanga koooo :P

ang ganda ng kulay nito.. at ang mukhang masarap ha. :P ate ano yang dahon ? coliander? takecareee

3. Girlie responded on 31 Jan 2008 at 2:35 pm #

buti nalang available lahat ng ingredients dito

4. stel responded on 01 Feb 2008 at 3:12 pm #

talap!
    superhealthy pa mandin ang squash, copy paste ko nga….
    how are you tita thessya?

5. Manang responded on 04 Feb 2008 at 6:15 am #

aha…me mae-experiment na naman ako sa squash…yung byenan ko kasi inulan ako ng squash…
    di ko mapipilit si hubby pero at least I can try something else aside from ginisa…

6. thess responded on 08 Feb 2008 at 9:06 am #

GBEX: hello bro! so sorry for not replying immediately..I hope u understand…thanks for the visit!

ROSE: yung green? ayun sa ingredients oh *lol* just funning with you..thyme sya…sige i-try mo, baka magustuhan din ng mga bata, sweet sya eh.

GIRLIE: have you tried it yet? :)

STEL: sana magustuhan ng Rambutan clan *crossing my fingers* I’m busy busy busy :( no time to play (blog hop)

MANANG: Hi Manang..uy chance to try nga other squash prep. How’s online singing, Manang? :)

7. julie Lee responded on 20 Aug 2010 at 9:12 pm #

I have cooked this recipe and its one of the best I have had for butternut squash.  Try it peeps, you will love it.   I cooked it for my mother in law – and I passed her stringent test!!  Thank you Jamie  lol

8. Piper responded on 06 Nov 2010 at 3:48 am #

Hi!I would like to know where can I buy those lovely butternut squash here in Manila? :)

9. Frank responded on 23 Dec 2012 at 6:31 am #

Hi,

I tried this recipe from his cookbook but did not turn out? I bought ‘light cream’ in Canada it was 8% Fat. Could that be the reason why it was so watery? I also added chicken stock + lemon instead of wine, could this be why it didnt work?

Trackback URI | Comments RSS